Hope in a Sentence

God proved He loved the world by sending His one and only Son, Jesus, to die for our disobedience and rise from the dead so that anyone who trusts in Him won't perish eternally but have everlasting life.

Archive Topics

Children's Stories (8) Life (10) Love (10)

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

In 2005, I left my home in Maryland to live in Georgia with some girlfriends for the summer. I looked forward to this new adventure, and also to narrowing the 600-mile distance between me and Jason. Now I could drive three hours to see him instead of eleven. And thanks to the hospitality of Jason’s friends, my Chattanooga accommodations never cost me a dime. My car needed a surprising number of oil changes that summer. But even more surprising was the number of lessons I learned from behind the wheel.


My first trip to Chattanooga was anything but easygoing. An hour into my trek, I got trapped in Atlanta traffic. Then my “Service Engine” light started flashing. I’ll take care of it later, I thought, secretly hoping my car was just overreacting to the caterpillar pace. But when I accelerated, my little automatic wouldn’t shift properly. My car had settled into fourth gear and roared in protest if I tried to go any faster.


Putting along in the slow lane, I rummaged around for my cell phone. I needed male expertise. After trying unsuccessfully to reach Jason, I called my dad back in Maryland. I knew very well he couldn’t pick me up or anything, but I needed some assurance. He calmly advised me to drive slowly and pull over if my engine started to overheat.


I had no desire to get stranded halfway between Commerce and Chattanooga. Not only would it take my friends from both cities an hour and a half to pick me up, but it would also waste precious time -- time I could be spending with Jason. I took a breath, gripped the steering wheel, and asked God to help me make it to Tennessee. I also asked my girlfriends to pray.


After watching other cars zoom past me for two hours, I finally saw signs for Chattanooga. Almost there, almost there! As I rounded a scenic bend in the highway, I spotted not only the city of my beloved, but also two beautiful rainbows. I felt so relieved, I cried.


With the first rainbow, it seemed like God was saying He’d be faithful to get me to Chattanooga. With the second, that He’d keep me faithful once I got there. Jason and I both desired to have a pure relationship, free from premarital sexual involvement. But I still felt timid in my ability to withstand the natural temptation to get too intimate too quickly. Yet here, en route to my testing ground, God had painted a portrait in the sky to remind me of His presence. He was with me always. Even on the highway to Chattanooga. I brushed a tear from my cheek and thanked Him.


Then I got lost.


I hate getting lost. Hate, hate, hate it. I was already running late due to my fifty mile-per-hour commute, and now I couldn’t find my way a mere ten miles from my destination. Will I ever get there? Fortunately being a woman, I had no trouble pulling into the first gas station I saw to ask for directions. After talking with the man behind the counter, I hurried back to the car. When I turned the key, the “Service Engine” light vanished! And to my unexpected joy, my car once again shifted into fifth gear without a fuss.
After stopping once more at the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel for additional directions, I eventually crossed the Tennessee River and found Jason. He spied me at an intersection, and I gladly called “shotgun” as he took the driver’s seat. As far as I was concerned, he could keep it for the rest of our relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment